What's in this article?
There’s no shortage of personal injury lawyer marketing tactics to consider.
By implementing the right tactics at the right time, you increase the likelihood of reaching your target audience and providing them with information and guidance that could result in a professional relationship.
Before we go any further, remember this: The personal injury lawyer marketing tactics you successfully used in the past may not generate the same results in the future.
You should always be on the lookout for new and improved ways of approaching this critical part of your business.
How important is SEO for personal injury firms?
There’s no reason to beat around the bush. SEO is crucial for personal injury law firms for the following reasons:
- To generate targeted traffic to your website
- Find targeted, qualified leads
- Build brand awareness
- Position your law firm as an authority in the personal injury practices
Not only is search engine optimization the key to driving traffic to your website, but it’s also one of the first steps in a comprehensive and well-thought-out lead generation strategy.
Are lawyers allowed to advertise their services online?
This is a common question for good reason. It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to advertising your legal services online.
One false step could result in trouble with the American Bar Association, and that’s not a risk you should be willing to take.
If you’re unsure of the rules regarding legal advertising online, stop what you’re doing and read our blog post “Ethical Regulations in Legal Marketing.” While the entire post is packed full of information, here’s one of the most important passages:
Lawyers can pay for advertising and communications, such as directories, online directories, newspaper ads, TV ads, radio ads, domain names and websites, sponsorship fees, Internet and group ads. In addition, lawyers are legally allowed (and encouraged) to pay professionals to generate these ads for them.
In short, lawyers are permitted to advertise their services online. However, there are things you’re prohibited from doing, so you’ll want to become familiar with “Rule 7.2: Communications Concerning a Lawyer’s Services: Specific Rules.”
10 winning law firm marketing tactics for personal injury law firms
You only have so much time in your day and so much money in your budget. That’s why you need to settle on the law firm marketing strategy that generates results. Qualified leads and conversions should be your top priority.
With this in mind, let’s look at 10 marketing tactics to consider.
1. Build a lead-generating website
Your law firm’s website is crucial to generating leads. Without it, you’ll find it a challenge to keep a steady flow of leads coming into your law firm. And when that happens, the rest of your business will suffer.
If your website isn’t generating leads, you may find yourself buying leads from a lead aggregator. This sounds like a good idea until you realize how expensive these services are.
A high-quality website that generates leads is more cost-effective over the long run. There’s no need to consistently purchase leads. Instead, you let your website do the work for you.
This can be done, first, by making your contact information and mission statement clear throughout your website. Make it easy for the potential client to contact you. You can also build a contact form for visitors to fill out and prompt them to do so on each landing page.
Websites in 2022 should also be optimized for mobile. Often, businesses will have a button on their website that allows mobile users to call your firm directly from the site.
However you choose to capture the visitor’s attention, make sure you offer many opportunities for them to get in touch with you.
2. Improve your website’s SEO
Almost everything you do from a marketing perspective is driven by SEO. Your goal is to dominate the search engines for your target keywords, thus allowing your target audience to find your law firm.
There’s a lot that goes into optimizing your website for search engines, which is why many law firms hire a digital marketing agency to manage the process on their behalf. This allows you to focus more time and energy on other tasks, such as helping your clients.
But this doesn’t mean you can’t do anything on your own. Three steps you can take today include:
- Create a Google My Business profile: This is critical from a local SEO perspective. Not only does it improve your odds of ranking at the top of Google for local keywords — such as Los Angeles personal injury lawyer — but it also provides your audience with information such as your location, phone number, website, and hours of operation.
- Optimize your content for the correct keywords: The quantity of visitors to your website isn’t nearly as important as the quality. You need both to succeed, and that’s why it’s so important to optimize your content with keywords relevant to your services. This includes both static copy and blog content.
- Study your competitors: This doesn’t mean you should copy what they’re doing. It means you should study them to better understand their target keywords, SEO strategy, and areas of vulnerability. You should take what they’re doing and offering and do it better.
Reaching the top of Google for your target keywords doesn’t happen overnight. But when you implement the right SEO strategy, you’re putting your website in a position for success over the long run.
3. Regularly publish blog content
At a minimum, publish one blog post per week. And if time and other resources allow, it’s good practice to bump this up to two or three posts.
As one of the most powerful forms of content marketing, blogging allows you to:
- Share relevant information with your audience
- Establish yourself as a thought leader with valuable insight
- Solidify your website in the search rankings for your target keywords.
- Share your content via social media, with an emphasis on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
If you’re struggling with ideas to kickstart your blogging strategy, consider the following:
- How-to guides
- Informative content
- Frequently asked questions
- Personal injury case studies
Blog content has the potential to drive loads of targeted traffic to your website. Create a content calendar to ensure that you post a minimum of once per week.
4. Ask for referrals
Referral marketing can be one of the biggest sources of new leads for your personal injury law firm. These leads are highly qualified, targeted, and free. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Some of the many people you can ask for referrals include:
- Previous personal injury clients you successfully won cases for
- Peers in your profession who can attest to your ability
- Non-legal professionals in your network
Tip: Don’t just take referrals from other people. Look for ways to return the favor. Doing so improves the likelihood of receiving future referrals from the same sources.
5. Ask for reviews
Positive online reviews are essential to your success as a personal injury attorney.
Potential clients will typically take the time to learn more about your law firm before contacting you. Positive reviews can be the difference between hearing from a lead and losing out to another law firm in your local area.
As noted above, you’re permitted to ask clients to share an online review. However, you’re not permitted to tell them what to write. Also, you can’t provide any incentive for a positive review, such as cash or a gift.
One of the best ways to ask for a review is by sending a simple answer to your satisfied clients. It can be something as simple as:
“Hey [first name], I wanted to send you a quick note of appreciation for trusting our law firm with your case. Should you have a spare minute in the near future, would you mind leaving a Google review of our firm?”
Don’t expect everyone to leave a review, but a few here and there can go a long way in boosting your online profile.
6. Write a lawyer bio
If you don’t yet have a lawyer bio on your website, now’s the time to create one. Furthermore, if you have other employees in your firm, ask them to do the same.
Use the following tips to write a bio:
- Include a headshot: A friendly face has a way of keeping people on your website for a longer time. Don’t forget to add a professional headshot to your bio page.
- Keep it clean: Don’t make readers work to find the information they’re seeking. A “clean” bio is broken into paragraphs and includes bullet-point lists.
- Talk about your experience and knowledge: How many years have you been practicing personal injury law? Do you belong to any associations? How many cases have you won?
Take the time to see what other personal injury lawyer bios look like. This will help you decide which direction to take yours.
7. Buy Google and Facebooks ads
Even though search engine optimization should be a big part of your personal injury lawyer marketing strategy, it doesn’t mean you should ignore paid advertising. Both Google and Facebook offer the ability to advertise your services to targeted individuals.
Pay per click (PPC) ads are crucial to generating new leads. This tactic allows you to generate leads now, not later. Unlike SEO, there’s no waiting to see what happens. Once your ad is approved and live, there’s a potential for traffic to follow shortly behind.
There are two primary benefits of buying Google and Facebooks ads:
- The speed at which you can get started
- The opportunity to target a specific audience
The only potential downfall is the cost. You’re charged every time someone clicks through to your website. The best way to manage this is by tracking your return on investment. It’s okay to pay for clicks if it directly leads to representing new clients.
8. Get listed on directories and “best of” lists
Starting with directories, search for both local and national options. For example, FindLaw and Avvo.com are two of the biggest online legal services, with both having a robust directory.
Depending on your location, there may be local legal directories that accept submissions.
As for “best of” lists, start by searching the internet for blog posts on reputable websites. An example would be “The 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firms in New York City.”
If your firm is not included, email the applicable party to share more information on your firm. This is a great way to gain more exposure, boost your search engine rankings, and make a new contact in the legal space.
9. Get friendly with your local chiropractic office
This may not make sense at first, but think about it. Many people who are injured in motor vehicle accidents visit their local chiropractor shortly thereafter. They do so as the result of back and/or neck pain. This doesn’t necessarily mean they have the opportunity to seek compensation, but they may.
If you personally see a chiropractor, that’s a good place to start. Strike up a conversation about your law firm, share your business card, and let them know that you’re open to referrals.
It’s simple: Chiropractors see a lot of people who were injured in a car accident.
10. Email marketing
According to Statista, “the global email marketing market was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020 and is projected to increase to nearly $18 billion by 2027.”
If nothing else, this shows that email marketing is alive and well. It remains a viable option for reaching your audience.
Take steps to collect email addresses from everyone you come in contact with. For instance:
- Share an email form on your website.
- Ask for emails at any in-person or virtual events.
- Create an email marketing segment for former clients.
It’s not likely to serve as your primary lead generation strategy, but email marketing can keep you in touch with your audience and land you new clients every now and again.
Final thoughts on personal injury lawyer marketing
These are 10 of the best law firm marketing tactics for personal injury lawyers but don’t shy away from anything else that can help you generate traffic and leads.
If you’re looking for a push in the right direction, book a discovery session with Kaleidico today. We look forward to hearing from you and sharing our knowledge of how to generate qualified personal injury leads.