Most of my initial conversations with attorneys start from one of two positions or mindsets.
- All of my business comes from referrals, I’ve never gotten a lead from my website, so why should I even bother?
- Oh crap! How do I get myself seen online? My competitors are everywhere online and I’m pretty much invisible.
In both cases, I start with the facts. According to multiple surveys, 90-95% of those seeking legal assistance use the internet to research their legal predicament and who they should call for assistance. And, 70%+ said they preferred reading or watching content on a law firms website over advertising to help them find an attorney.
All that’s to say, It’s important. It needs to be a priority.
The next question is, what should you be focused on to get this necessary online visibility?
- Get super focused on your brand and identity. Clarity is essential online. People are wicked ADHD online. You have to give them one and only one focus to grab their attention and their inquiry – lead.
- Tune, iterate, or redesign your website to deliver this clarity.
- Give them depth – content – to build trust, credibility, and a better client (lead).
- Content, combined with Google AdWords, helps you to begin taking ground to improve your online visibility. This means higher search positions and rankings that sends you qualified visitors that become leads and later clients.
Finally, let’s speak directly to the mythology of referrals. No partner or client has ever handed your business card to a person to refer you. Instead they tell, email, or text their friend or colleague your name (most likely) or your firm’s name – probably misspelled.
Then that person Google’s you to…
- Check you out
- See if you have any information or guidance relevant to their situation
- Find your contact information
Then, if they are satisfied/confident you can help them, that referral calls you – from the website!
So, what’s your next move?
I recommend prioritizing your digital strategy. It’s unquestionably consuming all of our attention. Ignoring it will only make your law firm increasingly invisible in the “real” world.
We want to guide you on this journey. Call or email to schedule a 15-30 minute discovery call to see how you can get in the game or just take it to a new level.
We love talking legal marketing! In fact we were recently featured in Blogger Local’s Best Attorney Website Design Agencies.