How to Create a Landing Page That Turns Visitors into Customers
You can probably put together a landing page if you put your mind to it, but can you create one that actually converts well? One that makes visitors take action and turns them into subscribers and then buyers?
That’s the tricky part.
Website pages often confound visitors, which makes them use the “Back” button and bolt for the exit as soon as they land. And you don’t want that to happen.
In order to avoid that, here are some of the best practices that will help you put together the foundation of an effective landing page:
Create a Landing Page That is Visually Interesting
The first thing a visitor cares about when landing on your page is the way it looks. Shallow, we know, but nonetheless, true. So how can you make it look beautiful? Here are some ideas:
- Add a picture or a video – People respond well to visual stimuli, so think about including an actual image of your products/services or a video if it helps to show the product in action.
- Keep it clean and simple – Tidy visuals keep people focused on your call to action. As tempting as it may be, avoid adding unnecessary visual junk that could distract your visitors. Less is more.
- Use a big font – Big letters are easy to read. In most cases, a short message combined with a big font works better than a long text and tiny letters.
- Use colors that complement each other – Just don’t use too many. Remember that white space is important as well.
- Pay attention to details – Every visual detail on your landing page matters.
Write a Killer Headline
A killer headline is one that efficiently describes your products or services, but isn’t afraid to show some personality as well. Your visitors want to know what’s in it for them, so make sure you keep your headline benefit-driven. Basically, tell them what your services or products will do for them.
Be original, precise and brief, if possible.
Have a Clear Call to Action
This is it: Your chance to close. But how can you make sure that the opportunity doesn’t go to waste?
Once your visitors land on your page, make sure they know what to do next. Be blindingly obvious about it and give them a clear path to follow.
It’s important to have a call to action that is easy to spot and differentiate from other visual elements. It also needs to be concise, clear and so awesome that even your competition would want to click on it.
Use Trust Elements to Reduce Anxiety
Adding testimonials, security verification, press mentions and third-party recommendations will help you establish credibility and make your business seem more trustworthy.
Use whatever seems relevant, but don’t stuff too much information on your landing page.
A/B Testing Is (Still) the Way to Go
The products or services you provide are one-of-a-kind, and so is your audience. Testing is a great way to improve, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different versions to see what works best for you. Start with the basics and then refine your approach.
There is no sure way of telling what will appeal to visitors and make them want to take that next step. But following these guidelines will surely help you create a better page, one that will convert your visitor into customers or, at least, advance your relationship with them.
Need more help converting visitors into leads? We can help you increase the conversions of your landing pages and offer beautiful web design to fit your business needs and goals.