Episode 11 Shownotes: Losing a Key Employee
Welcome/Intro (1 min) – Bill
Segment 1: Small Talk (2 min) – Bill
Segment 2: Losing a Key Employee (10 min)
Background: So we lost a key employee. Talk through this in a positive way, but talk about the situation and why things like this happen. I want to keep everything positive, but talk about real issues too – if that makes any sense.
What we learned:
- Work is very personality and relationship driven – especially in the agency business
- Some clients will take advantage of transitions
- Some clients won’t like the new personalities and approaches
- It’s hard to truly download and transition a key employees’ work
- You have to blow a lot of stuff up and start over
- It’s true: Turn any crisis into an opportunity
- A great time to get organized
- A great time to re-engage and survey clients on their experience
- A great time to refine you internal processes and workflows
- The team will be affected
- That’s okay
- Focus on the agency and get the team to form a stronger cultural connection the organization
- Try to make their jobs better – easy pressure, improve processes, provide top cover from clients bad behavior
What we changed and will do in the future to minimize impact:
- Improve team’s work environment and daily workflow
- Start to build stronger culture
- Give your clients a more consistent process and delivery
Segment 3: Biggest challenge or rabbit hole of the week? (5 min)
MC – Learning how to let go when you’ve left a beloved team, at some point your presence hurts more than helps.
BR – If you are a manager, learn to make teaching a big part of your day
Segment 4: Hottest trending marketing topic of the week? (5 min)
MC: Qualaroo, Surveying, and responding to your customers needs with personalization in communication.
Segment 5: Week’s Top Recommendation (2 min):
MC – Sign up for Customer.io’s emails – they know email!
BR – Build templates for everything you do
Outtro: Play out